Waxing FAQs: The good, the bad and the embarrassing
By Shahnaz Peerboccus, August 3 2020
We’ve all been there, whether you are new to waxing or are a fully-fledged veteran, there may be a few questions that are still irking you concerning this beauty treatment. We’ve listed a host of questions that we get asked by hundreds of people on a daily basis. For further information, we have linked to other helpful articles on our blog to help you. Hopefully, these will clear any doubts that you have when it comes to a waxing treatment.
- Will my hair grow back thinner? As the hair is pulled from the roots, this reduces hair growth. It varies from person to person, but even though your hair will grow back less, it may not necessarily be thinner. You’ll just have less of it.
- Does waxing hurt as much as people say? Firstly, it depends on where you’re getting a wax done. If you’re getting an intimate wax done, then you will experience some pain undoubtedly, but even with this, some parts are less sensitive than others. Plus, the first time is the worst, so if you get it done every 3-6 weeks when the hair is waxable again, the pain lessens. You can read our blog post on tips to reduce the pain that you may experience from waxing. All in all, some areas of the body are more sensitive than others, and most importantly pain is subjective
- What is the difference between hot and strip wax? Hot wax is for dealing with sensitive skin and thicker hair and will most likely be used for an intimate wax, whilst strip wax is for less sensitive skin and thinner hair and will most likely be used for areas such as the legs and arms.
- What’s the best way to get rid of post-waxing red skin? The simple, yet most effective way of calming down red skin is by moisturising. Waxing removes the top layer of the epidermis revealing new, softer ones but simultaneously it strips away the skin’s natural oil and moisture. To restore the moisture and rejuvenate the skin, it is worth checking out some of these products that we recommend to complement your waxing experience.
- How does the hair grow back? If you become a regular waxer you’ll notice that your hair will become sparser, making it easier to wax…and less painful!
- How often should I get a wax done? It depends on how fast your hair is growing but on average we would recommend getting waxed every 4 weeks. This is usually the right amount of time to have the hair at the right length, and will also allow the skin to be less sensitive to treatments. For our female clients: we recommend avoiding treatment around that time of the month: your skin will be more sensitive 5 days before and after.
- How long should the hair be to get a wax done? The ideal length for waxing is about 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch (0.5 cm to 1.5 cm). If your hair is not long enough, our therapist will let you know. If you decide to go ahead with the treatment, that’s not a problem at all. It is simply likely that we are not going to be able to get all the hair, as they’ll be too short to stick to the wax. Likewise, if the hair is too long the therapist can trim it for you as a wax will be more painful with longer hairs.
- Is it worth getting a full body wax done? It depends on what you need doing at the time really. A full body wax entails (Hollywood, full arms and legs) actually save you a total of a whopping £67 in comparison to getting the treatments done separately. It’s just a matter of whether you can have the patience to grow out all of the hair at once.
- Can I use a sunbed or tan outside once my wax is done? Beware of the sun, as we advise that during the 24-hour window after a wax done to not go out into the sun. This is because the skin is more exposed and less protected. As for sunbeds, it’s usually advised that these are avoided for at least one week before and after your waxing appointment. The skin tends to contain heat from the UV light which can cause the skin to peel or lift. In turn, this can irritate the skin during or after the wax.
- How can I prevent being embarrassed during an intimate wax? Meeting us actually covers 80% of this! It’s understandable that there will be a little embarrassment, especially for a first-timer as you may feel slightly uncomfortable being so exposed. Rest assured, our therapists have seen it all and, like a doctor or nurse, it’s their job. As part of the treatment, you are offered a pair of disposable panties which you can choose to wear or not. Just know that it’s of the norm and our therapists won’t even bat an eyelid.
- Is there a way to make intimate waxing less painful? Taking painkillers can actually make the treatment less painful. Taking ibuprofen, in particular, can aid in reducing any swelling that comes about after the wax. Also, make sure to not go hungover. Alcohol is dehydrating and will tighten the pores making the waxing more painful in turn. We have a few more tips and tricks here for you so that you can have a less painful wax!
- Can I get an intimate wax whilst on my period? We usually suggest not getting a wax when it’s your time of the month, just because the skin is more sensitive around that time. So we advise against getting a wax 5 days before and during your period.
- Can I do the deed on the same day that I get waxed? We know you want to show put that Hollywood wax to good use straight away, but we usually advise at least 24 hours before bodily contact, as the friction can aggravate the skin.
- Can I shave between treatments? Resist the urge to pick up the razor! We strongly advise not shaving after having a wax done. Shaving promotes ingrown hairs and skin abrasions hence it counteracts all of the wonders that the wax does for your skin. Plus, shaving makes your skin more sensitive, which will only make your next wax more painful.
- Can I get an intimate wax if I am pregnant? Yes most certainly, just let your Salonette know so that she is aware.
So there you have it, now you’re in-the-know about waxing. Hopefully, most of your doubts have been cleared! If you still have a few more questions in mind, don’t hesitate to chat with us here directly. We have experts on hand to get back to you within a matter of minutes. If you’re a newcomer, or if you want to try out an at-home waxing service with us, it’s definitely worth a try! Imagine having a wax in the comfort of your own bed – heavenly (with a little pain nonetheless)! At LeSalon we ensure that our customers feel comfortable and receive the best and most professional treatments.