Friday With Natasha: Get Exercising
By Zoe Greenwood, August 3 2020
Outside of work, my time is centred around two things – my family and exercise. I was not remotely sporty at school, never taking home any medals on sports day. It was only in my twenties when at University in San Francisco that I submitted to the Californian lifestyle and integrated exercise into my daily life. In all honesty, I cannot think of any other activity that I do which has such a significant impact on my life, both mentally and physically. If I feel like I need a bit of a pick-me-up or an energy boost, I know the only thing that really makes a difference is exercise. It gets my heart rate going and the blood pumping around my body. I like to combine high-intensity interval training with strengthening and stretching activities like yoga. So much so that I am a Barry’s Bootcamp addict – I really love being pushed to my limit.
I am not going to pretend that starting to exercise is easy – it’s not. If you’re not someone who currently engages in cardio, getting your body moving can be a challenge but if you can just make it through a few weeks of regular training, you’ll quickly start to see and feel the benefits. Initially, it’s best to set the bar low – 10 minutes of exercise three times a week, adding 10 minutes on to every session each week. Before you know it, you’ll be as fit as Jessica Ennis Hill. These days, exercising doesn’t need to cost a penny. There are plenty of free online “do it at home’ videos to choose from that you really have no excuse.
Here are a few of my favourite online videos to get you going:
- Tracy Anderson – celebrity trainer for the likes of Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow, she does small repetitive movements which means you really feel the burn. Give this one a try for your arms – I’ll be super impressed if you can make it through without putting your arms down!
- Ballet Beautiful – with subscribers in more than 100 countries and with most of the Victoria Secret models as clients, Mary Helen Bowers ballet workouts do not disappoint. If like me you had childhood fantasies of being a ballerina, you can quietly reminisce in your bedroom. The first time I did this one my butt hurt for a week.
- With nearly 10 million views, this 7 ½ minute dance workout is a great way to get your heart rate up and feel pumped up before you head out for the day!
- Vinyasa yoga links movement and breath. It helps strengthen your core and whole body, it’s easy to follow and is meditative as well – this is a good intro video.
- Sweaty Betty has created loads of short video works (including a Barry’s Bootcamp taster) here.
Watch out for our Salonette boot camp series which we plan to launch in the next few months – we’ll let you know where and when we are doing classes so you can join me and the rest of the team for a quick sweat. Bring it on!